Southend City Council – Governance Group
The council works very closely with Southend Adult Community College to provide the local community with every opportunity to achieve their full potential on a variety of courses that increase knowledge, help learners obtain a qualification, start their own business or enhance their well-being by discovering and developing interests that enrich quality of life.
The Council’s function is to provide, direct and oversee:
- Strategy, policy and commissioning
- Support and challenge
- Financial planning and performance monitoring
- Funding and compliance monitoring
- Governance of quality assurance, implementation and improvement
- Governance of health and safety, safeguarding risk management and equality.
Governance Group membership:
- Alan Richards – Executive Director for Growth & Housing, Chair
- Emma Lindsell – Interim Director of Regeneration & Growth, Vice Chair
- Kevin Waters – Interim Director of Growth and Planning, Vice Chair
- Liz Hunt – Director of Education
- Nick Brown – Head of Economic Inclusion
- Paul Grout – Senior Finance Business Partner
- Margaret Wall – SEND Lead
Southend Adult Community College Senior Leadership team:
Interim Principal – Susanne Davies
Head of Adult Learning & Skills – Stuart Wesselby
Head of Finance & Operations – Jason Raymond
Head of Quality – Caroline Quirk
Head of SEND & Young People – Jay Ellis
Head of Community Learning – Patricia North
Head of HR – Lorraine Reader
The Advisory Board
Comprised of experts that bring a variety of valuable knowledge and skills to complement those of the Council to secure the effective and dynamic governance of the college.
Purpose of the Advisory Board
To provide advice on:
- Education and skills in the context of adult community education
- Finance and funding to optimise planning and performance
- Business operations including marketing and communication and learner services.
To support and challenge the council and the college to:
- Ensure the curriculum intent, implementation and impact is relevant, effective and achieves the right outcomes for local people
- Ensure quality improvement in teaching, learning and assessment to build knowledge, develop and extend skills and promote the interests and aspirations of learners
To act as a critical friend enabling the college to thrive as an outstanding college that prioritises and fulfils the needs of its community.
To join the Advisory Board please access the application form here.