Southend Borough Council Governance – Support and Challenge Team
Ensuring Southend Adult Community College provides the local community with education and learning that makes a difference every day.
The Council’s function is to provide, direct and oversee:
- Strategy, policy and commissioning
- Support and challenge
- Financial planning and performance monitoring
- Funding and compliance monitoring
- Governance of quality assurance, implementation and improvement
- Governance of risk management, equality, health and safety and safeguarding
Senior representatives from across the Council comprise the College’s support and challenge team:
- Andy Lewis, Deputy Chief Executive and Executive Director for Growth & Housing, Chair
- Emma Cooney, Director of Regeneration & Growth, Vice Chair
- Michael Marks, Executive Director for Children & Public Health
- Brin Martin, Director of Education & Early Years
- Emma Lindsell, Interim Economic Growth Group Manager
- Paul Grout, Senior Finance Business Partner
- Elaine Allen, Audit Manager
The Advisory Board
Comprised of experts that bring a variety of valuable knowledge and skills to complement those of the Council to secure the effective and dynamic governance of the college.
Purpose of the Advisory Board
To provide advice on:
- Education and skills in the context of adult community education
- Finance and funding to optimise planning and performance
- Business operations including marketing and communication and learner services.
To support and challenge the council and the college to:
- Ensure the curriculum intent, implementation and impact is relevant, effective and achieves the right outcomes for local people
- Ensure quality improvement in teaching, learning and assessment to build knowledge, develop and extend skills and promote the interests and aspirations of learners
To act as a critical friend enabling the college to thrive as an outstanding college that prioritises and fulfils the needs of its community.
To join the Advisory Board please access the application form here.